It is commonly found from June to September. When picked, shell pieces and other small particles can be washed off and the plant then spread to dry. Dillisk is commonly used in Ireland, Iceland, Atlantic Canada and the Northeast United States both as food and medicine. It can be found in many health foodstores or fish markets and can be ordered directly from local distributors. In South West Ireland it is eaten dried and uncooked in a manner similar to that in which one would eat snacks at a drinks party. It is also used in cooking.
To rehydrate: Soak in cold water for up to 10 mins with a little salt. Soaking water can also be used for cooking if passed through a fine mesh strainer.
Salted: Wash salt off thoroughly before use.
Fresh: Rinse thoroughly before use.
Can be eaten dry fresh (or rehydrated) or cooked. You can bake dry dulse to intensify the flavour. If boiled, do not cook for more than 30 mins.
Goes well with: Dairy products, potatoes, bread, capers, onion, white fish, eggs, rice.
Raw Salads, pickles, slaws, tapenades, dressings.
Boil/steam Soups, stews, compotes, chowders, fish pies, accompaniment to fish.
Customers who bought this also bought
More Food & Drink Products
- True Natural Goodness Organic Dessicated Coconut
- True Natural Goodness Organic Rice Protein
- Java Ginger & Lemongrass Organic Green Tea
- Java Pure Dark Pu-Erh Organic Black Tea
- Nibbed Pure Cacao Grated
- Fhirst Cherry & Vanilla Sugar Free Living Soda Drink
- Fhirst Ginger & Mandarin Sugar Free Living Soda Drink
- Fhirst Passion Fruit Sugar Free Soda Drink
- Drink Me Dirty Chai Latte
- Biona Organic Hearty Lentil Soup
- Biona Organic Minestrone Soup
- Biona Organic Spiced Pumpkin Soup
- Biona Organic Tomato & Basil Soup
- True Natural Goodness Organic Pea Protein
- True Natural Googness Organic Xylitol
- Rude Health Ultimate Almond Milk
- Le Paludier Celtic Sea Salt Fine
- Sonnentor Organic Loose Leaf Gunpowder Green Tea
- Bunalun Organic Mini Apple Rice Cakes
- True Natural Goodness Organic Chia Seeds
- Sea Moss Sublime Sea Moss Gummies
- Niks Organic Dandelion Tea